Monday, February 14, 2011

Queen's, I hope you like cheese.

Throughout high school, I believe that the opportunities I have had to develop as a student, a leader, and a global citizen have greatly contributed to help me become the person I am today. I spent time volunteering with school-based initiatives such as a nation-wide blood drive, a benefit talent show with proceeds going to a scholarship fund for orphaned children in India, and a campaign to promote awareness of the Darfur genocide. These projects allowed me to discover how easy it can be to adopt a cause and truly contribute to benefiting those members of our international community who do not have the opportunity to help themselves.

I believe that my chances to immerse myself in a global environment would increase exponentially if I were to attend Queen’s University. Not only does the university boast students with intensely diverse backgrounds; there are also numerous chances to study abroad, and many clubs within the university that provide aide to and/or raise awareness on issues affecting people all over the world.

Ambitious as I may be for myself, I believe that, having personally benefited from an upbringing in a fiscally well-off family living in a stable, peaceful, and democratic society, it is my responsibility to help those who may not have had the same opportunities I did. Looking towards the future, I want for myself a good education and a job where I am happy and able to provide for myself as well as family of my own. However, I do not believe that I will merit these rewards if I do not dedicate ample time to my local community, my country, and the global network, which stretches well beyond any borders.

I believe that the notion of being an engaged citizen is becoming increasingly rare, and I hope that is something my generation will be able to turn around. My goal for my time at Queen’s is to become an active and engaged citizen on a global level, so that I may begin to make whatever small changes I can in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment