
So this past week I was gone at an outdoor school, where I got to be a high school counsellor for tons of grade 5 and 6 student. We spent the week hiking and playing tons of games, as well as learning about the forest, and the world, and how we can help to preserve it. Seven other people from my school went. Many of us arrived as near strangers, but by the end of the week could not fathom how we would go even a weekend without seeing each other. We all chose nature names, and the kids had to address us as such. I now respond as readily to the name Echo as I do to Erin. I cannot believe what an incredible experience this truly was for me. Especially as the end of the school year draws near, and my attention towards classes dwindles, it was a brilliant chance to get away from the city and take a little break. The only problem is getting back to school and realizing how quickly your world goes back to normal. I have been back for just over a week, and already and completely back in the swing of things. True, I was only there for 4 days, but they were big deal days, not ordinary ones. I find it sad how at a school as big as mine, I hardly ever get to see any of the people I grew so close with. And the end of this year may very well be the last time I see six of the seven, seeing as they are in grade 12 and set to graduate in less than a month.s time.
Anyhow, here's a little toast, to : soak it in : time capsules, potent peach, bunk beds, head bands, russian pink pants,solitude spot naps, diamond shreddies, late night dessert sessions, french braids,spoons "twigs", construction socks, "maple fawn dew", ropes course, inspection songs, red rain boots, hemp, camp fire, the best soup ever, wood cookies, real cookies, black magic, "it's pretty much impossible to get lost out here" and then getting lost
No comments:
Post a Comment